08 June 2008

Koln

I hear church bells from across the street ringing back and forth. They chime on the hour, every hour. Each town has it's own sound and rhythm. Yesterday I was in Koln, Germany. It took an hour driving through rain to park the car and hop the train to the city. We flew past German suburbs and junkyards. Their apartments are stacked high and tight but seem less forced than Los Angeles' ever-growing high-rises. Germans are keen on flower boxes hanging out of each window.

Arriving in the town square of Koln was my first metropolitan shock. The Koln cathedral swallowed my eyes with its gothic architecture. To see photos in art history class is one thing, but to go inside and feel smaller than an insect amongst the array of tourists should be made a life requirement. Sandalwood crowded the air along with the pure light that flooded the stain glass. Everyone looked up in awe. As I toured around, a group of amatures started singing glorious hymns, which I thought came from a true church choir.

We walked about the city. There was a French group of students halfway listening to their instructor about the structural elements of the ancient buildings. They were shockingly stereotypical French. Every single one of them wore black, some with barres and cigarettes; all looked at me with deepest eyes and parched lips. I couldn't help but slap on my American grin. We stumbled past another church where bells where playing a whimsical tune that made me feel I should belong in a Swiss clock. A wedding ceremony was letting lose. The bride photographed with the groomsmen and the family talked amongst themselves while the children in ponytails and Dutch dress pranced around.

After walking through the mess of the crowd we stopped for coffee. People were screaming and groups of men were wildly dressed, some in Lederhosen with beers in each hand. It was the opening of the Euro08 football tournament. Even women were going nuts. I had to imagine the American perception if it had occurred in Fashion Island...

The German train system in Koln did not make any sense. It took us 45 minutes of waiting in line for help to then toss the idea of further waiting and grab a train on the whim. Luckily an American man studying music directed us back to our train. I didn't mind being lost.

3 comments:

Tom said...

Aw man. This all sounds like a trip to the senses. But good shit on the updates. I'm looking forward to further entries on your Europe experience.

Unknown said...

"I had to imagine the American perception if it had occurred in Fashion Island..."

You know I love stabs at Newport Beach's bubble. You know... it's 2:30am right now and I'm at home in Newport. I just remembered the day I stopped by C'est Si Bon and saw you. You played it so cool like you always do...You gave me a "hey" and that was it.

Have fun in Europe. We will have ourselves a long talk over a cup of tea when you get back. Miss ya.

Hannah Rebekah said...

Gosh, this is great. I love the "shockingly stereotypical French"...
Thanks for sharing your experiences...I look forward to more :)